Peter Jesus changed Simon’s name to Peter, which means Piece of rock, stone – (from the Greek)
The term first is protos which does not denote first in a numerical sense, but has the meaning of the chief leader.
Peter is referred to much more than any of the other disciples.
- He speaks the most
- He is spoken to the most
- He is rebuked the most
- He is the only one to rebuke Jesus
- He asked more questions than all the other disciples combined
- Also the only disciple Satan asked to destroy
Luke 22:31 “Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail.”
Peter says no to Jesus 2X – can you remember the situations?
- Jesus said he was going to Jerusalem and Peter said “No”.
- He told Jesus “No” to washing his feet.
You can see Peter is …
- Ruled by his emotions
- Brash person
Yet Jesus calls him the rock that He is going to build the church upon.
First – John 13 Washing of feet
- Jesus demonstrated the type of love for God’s people
Second– John 21 “When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these? Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”(O)
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”(P) 16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”(Q) 17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?”(R) He said, “Lord, you know all things;(S) you know that I love you. Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.”
Feed my sheep
Three types of fish in Sea of Galilee
- Sardines (Smallest)
- Barbels (Largest up to 15 lbs.)
- Musth (Medium 6-18”)
Third – Acts 10 Holy Spirit comes upon Gentiles
- When they heard this they had no further objections and praised God, saying, “So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.” (Acts 11:18)
Peter discovered how much Jesus valued people.
Theme of self control
- 1 Peter 1:13 Prepare your minds for action; be self controlled.
- 1 Peter 4:7 Be clear minded and self controlled so that you can pray.
- 1 Peter 5:8 Be self controlled and alert.
Theme of love
- 1 Peter 1:22 Have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.
- 1 Peter 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sin.
- 1 Peter 5:23 (Elders) Serve the flock under your care. Be examples for them.