Two things motivate our wishes: Frustration & Opportunity. But the Lord has another viewpoint…
Philippians 2:2-3 “Then make my joy complete by being like minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.”
DON’T THINK OR ACT LIKE “THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND YOU”!
- Selfish ambition – Me first nature
- Vain conceit – Overinflated self importance.
Here’s the Key:
- Not being more disciplined to be selfless BUT
- Making a decision to value others above yourself.
How do we do this?
Philippians 2:4 “Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.”
This is easy to do when
- It is an account or a relationship you need to have
- If it is a person that you need to be in favor with.
- Someone that you need to impress
- I AM GOING TO CONSIDER ME AS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU
- I AM GOING TO CONSIDER YOU AS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ME
Philippians 2:6 “Who, being in the very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, Verse 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. Verse 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on a cross.”
JESUS MADE A VALUE STATEMENT ON THE CROSS
- He did not devalue himself
- He humbled himself and his greatness to value others above himself.
- YOUR INTERESTS, YOUR NEEDS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY OWN
How do you influence people?
- Value them
- You will win them over
We can be selectively selfless
- Someone deserves it
- We will get something in return
Romans 5:6-8 “You see, at just the right time, when you were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
- When we were powerless he was selfless.
- When we had nothing to offer him he gave himself.
- When we did not deserve it he did it anyway.
This is not:
- About feelings
- About being good
- A temperament
- A personality
- It is about us making a decision to value other people more than ourselves.
We Fulfill God’s Wish For Us When We Live Selfless Lives!
Pick One Person & Ask Yourself:
- Who do you have a difficult time valuing above yourself?
- What are their interests, needs, and desires?
- How can I be more selfless and generous towards them?