The Search for Meaning
We all have internal battles – but, have you ever wondered…
• Why do we do what we do?
• What do we do to help ourselves with our personal wars?
• What do we do to help others with their internal battles?
and, “What motivates us to do we do what we do?”
There are two needs people are seeking to fulfill:
We are motivated to meet a need:
• Security – love, money, peace, family
• Significance – respect, power, impact, influence
Here is the problem:
• We fail to accomplish our goal, or
• We accomplish our goal and discover it doesn’t fulfill our desires.
HERE IS OUR BIG PROBLEM:
• We form a belief in our unconscious mind that happiness, worth, value, or joy can be attained apart from God.
Romans 12:1-2 tells us to “Be transformed by the renewing of your mind”
Because: Wrong thinking leads to wrong feeling that ultimately ends up with wrong choices!
FIRST – We get to know what right thinking is…
In John 8:31-32 “Then Jesus told those Jews who believed on him, If you continue in my word, then you are my disciples indeed; And then you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free!”
WE WERE CREATED TO BE IN RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD AND TO PARTNER WITH HIS PURPOSES
SECOND – Don’t Isolate yourself…
In 1 Peter 5:8 “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour”
THIRD – We need to be the one who makes the mature decision…
Love covers a multitude of sin:
• 1 Peter 4:8 “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.”
The tongue has the power of life and death:
• Proverbs 18:21 “The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.”
• Ephesians 4:29 “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”
Why do we have a hard time loving or being nice to people who are different than us?
• We must accept people for who they are.
• It is not our job to change them.
• They need to fully trust God.
• We get to model and encourage.