The Road to the Cross – Part 1
What the Jews may have been thinking with the coming of the Messiah.
- The Roman government is going to be overthrown.
- Israel will rise to great heights.
- We will become respected around the world.
- With this thinking James and John’s mother requests that her two sons have the position of 2nd and 3rd in this upcoming kingdom.
Mark 10:32-34 “They were on their way up to Jerusalem, with Jesus leading the way, and the disciples were astonished, while those who followed were afraid. Again he took the Twelve aside and told them what was going to happen to him. “We are going up to Jerusalem,” he said, “and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and teachers of the law. They will condemn him to death and will hand him over to the Gentiles, who will mock him and spit on him, flog him and kill him. Thee days later he will rise.”
Question: WHY DID JESUS DO THIS IF THEY WERE NOT GOING TO UNDERSTAND?
What He didn’t say:
- Stay here it will be safer for you .
- Try to stop this .
- Woe is me. Give me all the pity and sympathy.
- He is not screaming or demanding for them to understand .
What He is saying:
- Bad things are going to happen, but don’t worry.
- Confusion will come soon, but realize God is aware and has things under control.
- All that happens is part of the plan.
Jesus is more concerned about their well being than his own.
John 16:33 “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. “
James 1:2-4 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
Key * JESUS WILL WALK WITH YOU TO THE END
Deuteronomy 31:38 “The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. “
John 14:16-18 “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another counselor to be with you forever – the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans.”
Here is what Jesus would say to you on this road of life:
- You are not alone !
- These things are not catching me off guard.
- There is a purpose and a reason behind all of this.
- Things will work out for the good.
This is why the Bible can tell us to NOT WORRY –
JESUS WANTS TO WALK WITH YOU
THROUGH ALL THE GOOD AND THE BAD!