Today we are going to begin to look at the 5 tarnished women in the lineage of Jesus.
TAMAR (Genesis 38)
- Judah arranged this marriage of Tamar to his son Er
- Er died before he was able to give her a child.
- She was given to Judah’s other son, who soon died.
- Judah promised to give save her for his third son, but later decided not to.
- She dresses as a prostitute (veil) and presents herself to Judah (Her father in law).
- She gets pregnant by him without him realizing who she was.
RAHAB (Joshua 6)
- Non Jew.
- Prostitute in Jericho.
- Two Israelite spies snuck into town.
- Rahab protected them and asked for their protection.
- When Israel attacked Jericho these two spies came to her and her family and delivered them from the destruction of that town.
- Non Jew
- A man named Boaz became her kinsman redeemer.
- He married her and brought honor and redemption back to her life.
- Who is Boaz? (David’s Grandpa)
BATHSHEBA (2 Samuel 11)
- She is a Jew.
- Married to the chief of David’s army.
- She had an adulterous affair with king David.
- Got pregnant (Babied Died).
- She is a Jew.
- She is married out of wedlock.
- People are saying she is making up this story about becoming pregnant without having sex.
Look at these five women:
- 3 non Jews
- 3 widows
- 2 prostitutes
- 3 pregnant unmarried girls
CHRISTMAS IS ABOUT GOD SENDING HIS SON TO REDEEM PEOPLE LIKE US!
Judah called her more righteous than himself. She was restored back into the family and had twin boys.
Her and her family lived. She married a Jewish man and had a regular life apart from her prostitution. Her past was behind and she was allowed to have a fresh start. Hebrews 11 lists her in the hall of fame of faith.
She got remarried to a very respectable man. Honor and dignity were given back to her.
She married King David and bore to him Solomon the future King of Israel. Solomon led Israel to its greatest time of success and wealth.
Psalms 30:5 “His anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime.”
How do you value someone who is a bad boss, selfish individual, living for worldly pleasure, or stuck in addiction?
Mark 6:34 “When Jesus landed and saw the large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd.”
THE ROAD TO CHRISTMAS IS A PATHWAY TO REDEMPTION