Here are some mission statements from well known non-profits you may have heard of:
- Smithsonian:The increase and diffusion of knowledge.
- Public Broadcasting System (PBS): To create content that educates, informs and inspires
- New York Public Library: To inspire lifelong learning, advance knowledge, and strengthen our communities.
- American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors
- San Diego Zoo is a conservation, education, and recreation organization dedicated to the reproduction, protection, and exhibition of animals, plants, and their habitats
- Boy Scouts of America: To prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.
- Doctors without Borders works in nearly 70 countries providing medical aid to those most in need regardless of their race, religion, or political affiliation
- City on a Hill (Melbourne, Australia): Knowing Jesus & Making Jesus Known (6)
- Mars Hill (Seattle, WA): To plant churches and make disciples (6)
- Christ Fellowship (Miami, FL): To make disciples of all nations
- Church of the Highlands (Birmingham, AL): Reaching people with the life-giving message of Jesus (8)
- Seacoast Church (Mt Pleasant, SC): We exist to help people become fully devoted followers of Christ (11)
- Mosaic Church (Hollywood, CA): To Live by Faith, To be Known by Love, and to be a Voice of Hope!
Can you name the mission statement where you work? Here at this church?
This is how the church used to operate:
- Sender – Church
- Sent – Missionary
- Place – Foreign Country
Here is how I would like us to begin to look at it:
- Sender – The church
- Sent – People of the church
- Place – Our community
Remember what Jesus said to us just before leaving? Here is the mission statement:
In Matthew 28: 18-20 ”Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Let’s look at the three different forms of mission fields that we have in our community:
- 1st place – Our homes
Matthew 22:34-40 “Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Now let’s try the “Neighbor Exercise”
- Can you name all of your neighbors?
GET TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS NAMES!
Invite people over to your house for dinner 🙂
Luke 14:12-14 “Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. 13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”
- Invite those who no one wants to have around
- Invite those who are not popular, successful
- THE KEY IS TO INVITE
Now in the three different forms of mission fields that we have in our community:
2nd place – Our “work”
- Our work is not for economic gain
- Our work is about participating in God’s mission
- Our vocation is God’s calling
Finally, in the three different forms of mission fields that we have in our community:
Our 3rd place – “Hang out” place
- Identify your 3rd places
- Get to know the people there
- Faithfully support that third place
When you start seeing a person regularly:
- Get to know their name
- Talk with them
- Ask them about their life
LET’S MAKE PEOPE FEEL SPECIAL AND CARED FOR
A Daily Prayer:
- God help me to follow you closely
- God help me to listen carefully
- God help me to obey completely