Islam – The “graceless” religion
Where do you think the power of the devil comes from?
- From lies.
- The Bible tells us that the truth sets us free.
- The Devil’s lies bring us into bondage.
He has no power over God:
- God alone is powerful and can create.
- The devil takes what was created and twists it.
- When we believe his twisted lies we are aligning ourselves away from the plan of God.
John 8:44 “You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies he speaks his native tongue, for he is a liar and the father of all lies.”
- There is no truth in him.
- He is the father of all lies.
- Lying is his native tongue.
What language do you speak? Oh, I speak lying.
I want to explore a new series looking at the lies of the enemy.
- They can be traced through the lies believed in through the major world religions.
- Each week we will look at a different religion and see the lie that the enemy wants people to believe.
Today we will start with Islam:
- 2nd largest world religion.
- REMEMBER THIS – ISLAM IS NOT THE ENEMY. The devil is the enemy.
This teaching series:
- Some people love this stuff. They want information.
- Some people want experience.
- Some people want practical living.
- I will try to make each sermon informative and practical for our lives.
- In 610 AD Mohammed was 40 years old, married with six kids.
- He had a vision (In an ecstatic state – at times roll around on ground).
What the vision entailed:
- He said Gabriel came to him.
- Told him the world had abandoned true worship and had become corrupt.
- He was to proclaim the worship of the one true God, Allah.
- He was to record Allah’s words and bring people back to the straight path.
- The celebration of Ramadan is to honor the date of this vision.
Over the next nine years Mohammed had these visions that were the inspirations for the writing of the Koran.
From 619 to 622:
- Lived in Medina.
- Drew in few converts.
- In 622 the leaders of Medina saw him as a danger.
- They attempted to assassinate him and failed.
- He fled to Mecca.
- Message flourished.
- In the next six years Islam would be the religion of the land.
- Mohammed would be the most powerful man in the land.
- They consider their heritage to be the true promise of God through Ishmael.
- They believe that they are the rightful land owners of Israel.
- They believe Israel took something that does not belong to them.
- They believe Jews are squatters on their land and Christians have corrupted religion.
Doctrine of Islam:
Five pillars to their faith:
- Creed, there is no God but Allah, and Mohammed is his final prophet.
- Pray five times each day.
- Give 1/40th to a cause.
- Regular fasting (Especially during month of Ramadan.
- Pilgrimage to Mecca once in a lifetime.
Those are the basics.
Central to Mohammed’s message:
- Subjugation of unbelievers to Islamic law.
What is a theocracy?
- No separation of church and state.
- Democracy and Islam cannot coexist.
- The religious leaders are also the judges and rulers.
- All the laws, protocols, ethics, and teachings of Islam are the laws of the land.
- It would be taking the Constitution and replacing it with the Bible.
- If you go to an Islamic country you are required to live by the laws of Islam.
- An unbeliever is a second class citizen:
- Pay special tax.
- Cannot hold office.
- Cannot marry a Muslim woman.
- Cannot expand their building.
- Cannot ring their bells at the appointed time.
- Cannot convert a Muslim to Christianity.
These rules are held in every Islamic ruled country to this day.
Their view of God:
- He can lie and break promises (They will follow this exact same path).
- There is No Grace (Old Testament on steroids).
- 109 warring verses.
Bush quote – Osama bin Laden and his cohorts hijacked a great religion.
- There are many peaceful Muslims.
- But there are so many verses within the Koran telling them to use violence to spread their message.
If you criticize/ reject Islam it is equated to attacking Islam:
- Declaring war.
- They are commanded to strike down those who oppose Islam.
- They have a worldwide agenda to take over the world and subjugate everyone to Islamic rule.
DIDN’T WANT TO QUOTE THE KORAN, BUT MANY VIOLENT VERSES TELLING TO KILL AND CUT OFF.
There are two primary sects of Islam:
- Shi’a (10%) – The more radical branch – follow after leader from Mohammed’s bloodline.
- Sunni – Follow after the first male disciple of Mohammed (75 to 85%).
I called this a graceless religion:
- They have no concept of grace.
- The devil has completely removed this mentality.
- They have a difficult time grasping a God who would sacrifice himself for others.
- They have no forgiveness or are required to forgive one another.
- They have only one promise for salvation.
We have a God of Grace!
Romans 5:17 “…God’s abundant provision of grace”.
2 Corinthians 12:9 “My grace is sufficient for you”.
Ephesians 1:7 “Forgiveness through the riches of God’s grace”.
Ephesians 2:7 “The incomparable riches of God’s grace”.
Hebrews 4:16 “…throne of grace”
James 4:6 “Gives grace to the humble”.
If you are sharing Christ with a Muslim:
- Focus on first three Gospels.
- Talk about grace and the need for the forgiveness of sins.
- Talk about no one is good enough or can work their way into salvation.
- Talk about God’s love.
- Do not blast the Koran, Mohammed, or Islam.
The devil wants us to get our eyes off of God’s grace:
- He doesn’t want us to forgive and be gracious.
- He wants you to feel like you have to work for and earn your salvation. Why?
- He knows that salvation cannot come through our ability, but only through God’s grace.
We are told to love our enemies:
- Islam is not our enemy.
- They are deceived people, just like many others that you know.
Pray for the light of Christ and His grace to shine into their lives.