Lies of the Devil – Mormonism
Joseph Smith (1805 to 1844)
- At age 14 he had his first vision in which he was told that:
- Their creeds are an abomination
- Their religion is corrupt
- And they have followed total apostasy after the death of the apostles.
The Book of Mormon
- Written in 1830
- They claim it to be an account of two nations here in America that Christ appeared to after His resurrection
Documents of Covenants
- 138 revelations that forms Mormon’s doctrines
Pearl of Great Price
- Translated from Egyptian Documents
- Book of Moses (1st six chapters of Genesis)
- The handwritten Book of Abraham
“We believe the Bible is the Word of God in so far as it is translated correctly. A correct translation is impossible. The Catholic Church has taken away from the word of God.”
Early Apostle – Orson Pratt (1891) said “Who knows if even one verse of the Bible has escaped pollution, so as to convey the same sense now that it did in the original.”
Polytheism – Many God’s
- God the heavenly father is married to a heavenly mother.
- They live on a planet near the huge star called Kolob.
- There they have spirit children.
- God is in a physical body just like us.
- Jesus was God’s first born, and that
- Lucifer was God’s second born!
Claimed that Man can be God:
- They believe that God the Father was “a man just like us on another planet”!
- They say that “If you obey all the rules of the church” you will go to the highest heaven and one day you to will be a God of your own planet!
“God was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heaven!… I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil so that you may see… He was once a man like us; yea that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did… Here, then is eternal life. You have got to learn how to be gods yourself the same as all the gods have done before you. (Joseph Smith)
- Celestial Kingdom – Mormons who are fully obedient and worthy
- Terrestrial Kingdom – Religious and moral people who never become LDS
- Telestial Kingdom – For the wicked and the criminals
- Not salvation by grace – Be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all that we can do (2 Nephi 25:23)
- We believe that man shall be punished for their own sins and not for Adam’s transgressions (Article 2)
- We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel (Article 3)
- Prophet Gordon Hinckey confessed that he believed in a Jesus other than the “traditional Christ” worshiped by those outside of the LDS Church
- Archeology- None of the cities, temples, coins, languages, inscriptions, rivers, or mountains mentioned have ever been discovered!
- Mentions horses, pigs, chariots, brass, iron, steel, wheat, barley, elephants, ship building, wheeled vehicles, Hebrew writing, Egyptian writing, and coins. These were all imported to America – not native to this continent.
- Claimed that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri.
- Claimed that after the flood Noah landed on the Eastern Hemisphere.
- Claimed that Jesus visited America after his resurrection.
- Claimed that the document translated was the “Pearl of Great Price” when it is in fact actually a copy of “The Book of the Dead”!
- DNA of Native Americans – Came from NE Asia.
Other Doctrinal beliefs and problems
- The curse of Cain – The curse of Cain was being black.
- Changes in their Scriptures – Over 3000 changes to the Book of Mormon since 1830.
Lies of the Devil
- We can be like God.
- We can achieve righteousness by our own ability.
- Don’t use your brain, just have faith.