What does your ideal family look like?
- Lots of relatives?
- Financially secure?
- Your kids and all their friends want to be at your home?
- If all the kids are out of the home they call home daily?
What do many families today look like?
- Money problems?
- Misbehaving children?
- Spouse not coming to church?
In the Old Testament there are really no good examples of family:
- Isaac had twins that were in competition and parents showed favoritism;
- Jacob had two wives competing for kids and he showed favoritism toward Joseph;
- David’s dad and older brother did not value him;
- David’s family was a complete mess.
The New Testament does not give us much as far as example, and has very little teaching in regards to family. One popular passage is one of the only ones that deals with the whole family:
- SUBMIT TO ONE ANOTHER OUT OF REVERENCE FOR CHRIST
- Wives, submit to your husband as to the Lord.
- Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church.
- Children, obey your parents in the Lord.
- Fathers, do not exasperate your children.
God’s way to do family is different than the ways of the world.
- God’s Kingdom is about submitting to one another.
- Everything is run through the grid of love.
John 13:3-4 “Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him…”
Did you notice?
- Jesus recognized that all things were under his power.
- Then he washed his disciples feet
Here is how it would work in a home setting.
WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU?
BARRIER TO ASKING THIS QUESTION
Philippians 2:3-4 “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also the interests of others.”
When you ask “WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU”?
- Here is the answer:
- I’ll do that
- Yes they may take advantage of you.
- Yes you might not get everything you want to get done.
- Yes you may not be number one
BUT – Getting everything that we want never makes us happy anyway…
Ecclesiastes 2:10 “I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure…yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless.”