The Battle of Truth
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 “For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”
We have been given weapons to use, but most people don’t use the weapons
- Most churches focus on the first part of the armor of God (Salvation and righteousness)
- We are commanded to put on the whole armor of God
- This includes faith and the Word of God
Hebrews 4:12 For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Praying Scripture towards Unbelief
Not talking about unbelief in God, but an unbelief of God.
- One doubts God’s existence
- The other doubts God’s abilities
- A person that doesn’t pray much falls into this latter category.
Why do we lack the belief in God’s abilities?
- We have been under a stronghold for so long it seems impossible to live life apart from it.
- We see everything through our human eyes
- We have too little faith.
Ephesians 1:18-20 – I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.
- There is an incomparably great power for those who believe
- Not believe in God, but believe God.
Scriptures to pray towards Unbelief
- Ephesians 1:18-20 – I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.
- Mark 9:24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, ‘I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief.”
- Matthew 21:22 If you believe you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
- Luke 8:12 Those along the path are the ones who hear, and the devil comes and takes away the words from their hearts, so they may not believe and be saved.
- John 6:29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he sent.”
- James 1:6 But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.
- I Thessalonians 2:13 And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the words of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.
- Matthew 15:28 Then Jesus answered, ‘Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.”
- Matthew 17:20 He replied, ‘Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
- Romans 1:12 that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.
- Luke 17:5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”
Our battle is not a battle of power. It is a battle of truth.
- Power Battles grow pride
- Truth battles recognize the power belongs to God (We align ourselves with Him)
Where does the devil get his power?
In the Lie
- John 8:31-32 If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
- John 8:44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of all lies.
The devil’s power rests in the areas where we believe in his lies.
- We have wrong thinking about our identity
- We have wrong thinking about our purpose
- We have wrong thinking about our significance