Shocking Statements of Jesus
“Love your enemies”
JESUS CAME TO TEACH US A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT LIFE AND VALUE SYSTEM
Mathew 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ “
Remember that Jesus is contrasting the Kingdom of God with the world’s way of living.
They were taught to love their neighbor and hate their enemies.
HATING YOUR ENEMIES IS AN EASY SYSTEM TO LIVE BY!
- You can put people in categories and love some and not others
- You can love the people in your close sphere
- God is on my team and not theirs
You know that you have made God in your image when you have chosen only to love those who are important to you.
Matthew 5:44 “But I tell you: Love your enemies”
Jesus doesn’t have categories
- Maybe saved and unsaved categories
- He loves the saved and wants the unsaved to be saved
Matthew 5:44b “and pray for those who persecute you”
Dietrich Bonhoeffer said –
“Praying for those who persecute you is the supreme command of Scripture”
What makes your prayer list?
- The things that matter to you and that you want to matter to God
- For God to come into the things that are important to us
Jesus wants us to love and pray for our enemies:
- He wants us to see them as people who have been hurt
- He wants us to see them as people being tormented by the enemy
Matthew 5:45 “that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.”
God says that loving your enemies is how His children live.
John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
GOD BLESSES THE RIGHTEOUS AND THE UNRIGHTEOUS.
- He loves people. Good and Bad
- He makes no distinctions
- This is what God does. This is what the children of God do.
While we were still sinners Christ died for us (Romans 5:8)
Matthew 5:46 “If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?”
IF YOU ONLY LOVED THOSE WHO ARE EASY AND IMPORTANT TO YOU, THEN YOU ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN ANYONE ELSE. ANYONE CAN DO THAT.
DON’T MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO LOVE YOUR ENEMIES AND MAKE A SHOCKING STATEMENT ABOUT CHRIST.
Matthew 5:48 “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”
Be perfect in your distribution of love to all people. (Do not show favoritism)
Just as “He sends rain on the just and the unjust”