Have you ever heard someone make a statement that is so shocking you didn’t know how to respond to it? We are very comfortable sometimes. We can be shocked when someone challenges us!
The bible also tells us that in the end times many deceivers will go out to deceive “if it were possible even the very elect”!
Jesus made some very “Shocking Statements” too!!
Let look at John 6:25-35 “When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, “Rabbi, when did you get here?” 26 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”
28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” 29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”30 So they asked him, “What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? 31 Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’”
32 Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
34 “Sir,” they said, “from now on give us this bread.”
35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.
John 6:54-55 “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.”
John 6:60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”
John 6:61 “Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you?
This was a huge time in the storyline of the Gospels
- Verse 66 From this time on many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.
- It doesn’t say that they left and eventually came back again;
- Also, Jesus didn’t chase after them.
John 6:67 “You do not want to leave too, do you? Jesus asked the twelve.”
What were they thinking?
- I THINK I AM READY TO LEAVE TO?
- I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the twelve had already checked out in their hearts and were just waiting for someone else to get up and initiate the bail out.
- SUDDENLY FOLLOWING JESUS WASN’T GOING TO BE TO THEIR ADVANTAGE.
- Forced to count the cost of following Jesus.
The word hard being used here in Greek is sclerosis–
A hardening which hinders proper function
All of our Christian journeys have seasons:
- Giving more than taking
- Cost us more than it serves us
- More of a hassle to be a follower than a help
PETER HAD ONE OF HIS MOST PROFOUND AND INFLUENTIAL MOMENTS
John 6:68 Lord, to whom shall we go?
- Yes the thought to quit came to our mind;
- Yes I was tempted to walk away;
- But after I considered my options where else do I have to go?
IF I CHOOSE NOT TO FOLLOW GOD’S WAY I WILL FOLLOW SOMEONE ELSE’S WAY!
BUT THIS IS WHAT PETER HAD DISCOVERED:
- There is nowhere that has more value and meaning;
- Nowhere else can satisfy the heart and spirit like you; and
- No one else will trust me, love me, and give me opportunities like Jesus!
WHAT DID THESE OTHER DISCIPLES MISS OUT ON BY WALKING AWAY WHEN IT GOT HARD?
- Being empowered to touch people’s lives?
- Being used around the world?
- Having the greatest opportunity in the history of mankind?
WAS WALKING AWAY OR FOLLOWING FROM A DISTANCE WORTH IT?