Hollywood makes love a romantic act that you fall into.
The Bible tells us that love is actually something that you can control.
IN FACT THE BIBLE COMMANDS US TO LOVE 🙂
In I John 3:23 “And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us”
Romans 13:8 “Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law”
This passage talks about us having a debt towards one another.
- A debt to love one another
I John 3:16-18
16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
So what does this passage tell us what true love is?
- Lifting others up
- Helping out others
- A love based on actions
LOVE IS NOT ABOUT WHAT WE RECEIVE, BUT WHAT WE GIVE.
- Impure love seeks first to receive their needs
- Pure love seeks to give to others.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
- Love is more important than spiritual gifts
- Love is more important than knowledge
- Love is more important than faith
- Love is more important than generosity
- Love is more important than accomplishment
Four aspects of love can change a home.
- Show patience
- Show kindness
- Be respectful
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
A recent survey was conducted. They called 1000 random Americans across the country to poll what their view of Christianity is.
- 25% said they could not think of a positive contribution
- 20% stated violence or hatred in the name of Jesus
- 13% stated the church’s stand against gay marriage
- 12% felt the church was too political
- 12% mentioned sexual abuse scandals
- 19% said they do good in helping the poor
- 14% said they do good in shaping moral values
What did Jesus say would be the deciding factor on how the world would recognize the church?
- By how we love one another
1 John 4:7
7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
- Whoever loves belongs to God
- God is love
Did you notice that the passage says “if we love one another.”
- We have a choice
Romans 12:10 “Be devoted to one another in love.”