Prayer of the righteous
What is within your control when it comes to the election?
- We can pray
- We can vote
James 5:16 “The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective.”
- A righteous person’s prayer has power.
- A righteous person’s prayer is effective to change things.
Here is the key word to this whole passage.
Romans 3:21 – But now a righteousness from God, apart from the law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.
Two types of righteousness represented here.
- Old righteousness – received through the obedience to the Old Testament Law
- New righteousness – Which is from God and not based upon the law
Romans 3:22 “This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.”
How does a person receive this new righteousness?
Through faith in Jesus
Romans 3:22b – 23 “There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”.
- The righteousness we receive comes through faith in Christ
- It makes no difference what you have done wrong
- We have all sinned and fallen short of God’s glory
This tells me that that my righteousness is not based upon my actions.
Romans 3:24 “and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”
Definition of justified:
- To administer justice
- To qualify as bail or security.
There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS DOES NOT COME FROM
ACTIONS THAT WE DO.