Pointing to the Cross – The Scapegoat
Day of Atonement
Also called Yom Kippur
Day of Atonement
• Most Holy Day of the year
• Happens in the fall
• Day of fasting
• High Priest enters the Holy of Holies
“He shall then slaughter the goat for the sin offering for the people and take its blood behind the curtain and do with it as he did with the bull’s blood: He shall sprinkle it on the atonement cover and in front of it. 16 In this way he will make atonement for the Most Holy Place because of the uncleanness and rebellion of the Israelites, whatever their sins have been
20 “When Aaron has finished making atonement for the Most Holy Place, the tent of meeting and the altar, he shall bring forward the live goat. 21 He is to lay both hands on the head of the live goat and confess over it all the wickedness and rebellion of the Israelites—all their sins—and put them on the goat’s head. He shall send the goat away into the wilderness in the care of someone appointed for the task. 22 The goat will carry on itself all their sins to a remote place; and the man shall release it in the wilderness.
• First Goat paid the punishment of their sins
• The second goat carried their sins away
He made known his ways to Moses,
his deeds to the people of Israel:
8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.
9 He will not always accuse,
nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
“I, even I, am he who blots out
your transgressions, for my own sake,
and remembers your sins no more.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”
• No longer remembers our past sins
• No longer remembers our current sins
• No longer remembers or future sins
Who God is
• 100% holy (demands right living)
• 100% loving (Forgives and is not legalistic)
SIN IS A MUCH DEEPER ISSUE THAN JUST ACTIONS
• We were born into it
• It is an internal issue
• Our external sinful choices are a result of internal sinfulness
Internal Sinful actions
• Romans 1:24 God gave them over to the sinful desires of their heart
• Matthew 5:27 look at a woman lustfully
• James 1 Each one is tempted when by his own evil desires…