Paul’s Missionary Journey: Journey’s End
Break into small groups and discuss two things (7 to 10 minutes).
- Share with each other what you would do in this situation
- Read and discuss Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
There were two different historical responses to those who chose to partake in sacrifices to save their lives and then return to the church.
- Rigorists– wanted to keep these individuals separate in which the church could not offer them forgiveness by restoring them to communion.
- Laxists– Saw the church as the instrument of salvation (a hospital for sick souls) and were quick to bring them back into the church.
What is the Biblically correct way of handling this?
- Peter denied Jesus three times and still became the “Rock” that Jesus built the church upon.
- 1 John 2:22-23 Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a man is the antichrist – he denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
- Took ten years to build
- 564 feet long and 468 feet high
- Could accommodate about 70,000 people
- Many thousands of Christians were killed in the middle of this arena.
- There are 60 catacombs in Rome
- Christian Catacombs had some 500,000 believers buried there.
- 37 acres, 4 stories/ levels deep