“Name your way through Christmas”
5 In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6 Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly. 7 But they were childless because Elizabeth was not able to conceive, and they were both very old.
8 Once when Zechariah’s division was on duty and he was serving as priest before God, 9 he was chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple of the Lord and burn incense. 10 And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshippers were praying outside.
Zechariah – Jehovah will remember
Served in the priestly division of Abijah
- The priests had 24 divisions
- 2 weeks a year the priests would serve
What functions did the priests have?
- pronounce blessings over people
- communicating the law
- Collect tithe
- Take care of holy place
- The size of the original Holy Place (30x15x15)
- The size of the Holy Place in Herod’s temple was (60x30x45)
Gabriel – Mighty One of Jehovah
Seventy Weeks Prophecy
- From commandment of rebuilding of temple (445 BC)
- To the Anointed One being cut off
- 70 7 year period of times
- 483 years
11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13 But the angel said to him: ‘Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son,
Elizabeth – Jehovah the absolute reliable one
Luke 1:57-64 “When it was time for Elizabeth to have her baby, she gave birth to a son. 58 Her neighbours and relatives heard that the Lord had shown her great mercy, and they shared her joy.
59 On the eighth day they came to circumcise the child, and they were going to name him after his father Zechariah, 60 but his mother spoke up and said, ‘No! He is to be called John.’
61 They said to her, ‘There is no one among your relatives who has that name.’
62 Then they made signs to his father, to find out what he would like to name the child. 63 He asked for a writing tablet, and to everyone’s astonishment he wrote, ‘His name is John.’ 64 Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue set free, and he began to speak, praising God!”
John – Jehovah is gracious
How many years did Zechariah and Elizabeth pray? Yet:
- God never answered
- God had a plan
- God waited
This Christmas story tests our heart:
- Do we believe God is aware of our needs?
- De we believe God has the power and ability to take care of our needs?
- Do we believe God is faithful to meet out our needs?
- Do we believe God is gracious enough to care for us in such a way?