Minor Prophets – Malachi
A prophecy: The word of the Lord to Israel through Malachi.
2 “I have loved you,” says the Lord.
“But you ask, ‘How have you loved us?’
You see a pattern here where God says “I have” and they ask “How have”:
- I have loved you
- How have you loved us?
- It is you priests who show contempt for my name
- How have we shown contempt for your name?
- You have wearied the Lord with your words
- How have we wearied Him?
- Return to me and I will return to you
- How are we to return to you?
- You rob me
- How have we robbed you?
- You have spoken arrogantly against me
- How have we spoken against you?
Here is the lie the devil wants you to believe – YOU ARE UNLOVED
What happens to people who feel unloved?
When we don’t feel loved:
- Self centered
- Forgiveness problems
Why do people feel unloved?
Why do we feel unloved by God?
- God blessing others
- Not hearing his voice
- Our sinful choices/ addictions
Here is the list of sins that Malachi brings up that the people are struggling with:
- Oppressing the poor
- Stealing from God
- Inferior sacrifices
- Lazy priests
God’s perspective on people and sin?
- God loves people
- God hates sin
- God loves people who struggle with sin
16 Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored his name.
17 “On the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty, “they will be my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him. 18 And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not.
Those who feared the Lord:
- They will be my treasured possession
- I will spare them, as a father has compassion
- You will again see the distinction between righteous and wicked