In Matthew 11:28 Jesus says “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
The word “come” is (duete) – an adverb telling people “come to me now“.
There are 613 laws in the Old Testament that are to be upheld.
Halakha – are the laws created to be a fence around the 613 laws.
Matthew 23:13 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying.”
Matthew 11:29″Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
The word “take” in the greek is airo. It is a verb. The word refers to something that you take up or pick up yourself – and then place upon yourself.
- Jesus is saying take upon yourselves my ways.
- Pick up my teachings and apply them to your life.
So what do we learn from Jesus’ teaching?
- It is something that we take up for ourselves,
- His ways are gentle and humble, and
- His ways will give rest to our souls!
The word for yoke is zugos and it is used to describe anything that is burdensome or creates bondage.
Matthew 11:30 “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Jesus wants us to take upon ourselves His ways.
- His ways bring refreshment to your soul
- His ways revitalize you from wearines
- His ways are not overwhelming
- His ways won’t wear you out!
Here’s the audio – Download or Listen Online
Here’s the Video