John 8 “…the devil is the Father of all lies. When he lies he speaks his native tongue for there is no truth in him.”
2 Corinthians 2:10-11 “I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, 11 in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.”
The devil’s schemes are based upon lies.
Matthew 4:5-6 “Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written: He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against the stone.”
Who started Jehovah’s Witnesses? Charles Taze Russell
- His parents were fully believing Jesus would return in 1844.
- Baptist preacher William Miller interpreted Daniel 8:14 as an amount of years when Jesus would return.
Daniel 8:14 “He said unto me, “It will take 2300 evenings and mornings; then the sanctuary will be reconsecrated.””
- This Prophecy was made in 457 BC.
- He assumed 2300 years from that prophecy Jesus would return
- 2300 years after 457 is October 28, 1844
- When Jesus did not return at this point in time William Miller reworked his math and recalculated it for the fall of 1874
- Charles Taze Russell was 16 in 1868
Jesus did not return at this date
- The Adventist magazine Herald of the morning hailed that Christ had come as predicted only he came invisibly instead of physically on the earth (A belief that he accepted as truth).
- Russell supported the struggling magazine company and eventually bought it and changed its name to… Zion’s Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence
- He later left the Adventists and started his own movement.
- IBSA International Bible Students Association
- He started developing small congregation (30 in 1880)
- He would visit these congregations directing how they should be run
- He developed his magazine company to produce material for these congregations
- Russell died October 31 1916
Jehovah’s Witness’s Doctrine
- No Holy Spirit as a personal part of the Trinity. God’s power or active force.
- Jesus was Michael the Arch Angel.
- After his death on the cross (Single Stake) he was given his divinity
- Believe the concept of the Trinity is a lie of the devil
- No hell
- Annihilation of person after they die
- 1874 Christ returned, but it was an invisible return). This marked the year 6000 since the creation of the world
- 1878 Added 3 ½ Years to 1874 date including half of the tribulation for the physical return
- 1881 Added the last 3 ½ years of the tribulation for the physical return of Jesus
Russell was huge into pyramidology:
- The great pyramid of Giza is considered God’s “Great stone Witness and Prophet.”
- Believed the pyramid was built by the high priest Melchizedek and Shem the son of Noah
- He believe that the Pyramid was a prophetic map of things
- 1914: “…the ‘battle of the great day of God Almighty’ (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth’s present rulership, is already commenced.” —The Time Is At Hand, 1886, p. 101
- 1915: “…the ‘battle of the great day of God Almighty’ (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1915, with the complete overthrow of earth’s present rulership, is already commenced.” —The Time Is At Hand, 1915 edition, p. 101
- 1918: “Also, in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches wholesale and the church members by millions, it shall be that any that escape shall come to the works of Pastor Russell to learn the meaning of the downfall of ‘Christianity.’ ” —The Finished Mystery, 1917, p. 485
- 1925: “…1925 shall mark the resurrection of the faithful worthies of old….based upon the promises set forth in the divine Word, we must reach the positive and indisputable conclusion that millions now living will never die.” —Millions Now Living Will Never Die, 1920, p. 97
- 1940’s: “It would therefore appear that there is no reasonable or Scriptural injunction to bring children into the world immediately before Armageddon, where we now are.” —The Watchtower, November 1, 1938, p. 324
- 1975: “Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end.” —Kingdom Ministry, May 1974, p. 3
Current of other Christian Denominations:
- All current day religions are false and are considered to be Babylon the Great in Revelations
- UN is the Scarlet covered beast in Revelations 17 that will destroy all other religions accept Jehovah’s Witnesses.
- This will mark the beginning of the Great Tribulation
- God is our Father and the Watch Tower is our Mother
- They view the Watchtower as “dispensing absolute truth.”
- Every Congregation around the world receives the exact same message.
- No Articles of faith or authoritative doctrinal statements.
- There theological views are found within the Watchtower publications. These teaches are considered authoritative
- Progressive Revelation
- Their publications take precedence over the Scriptures as they explain the Bible to people.
Charles Taze Russell Quote
If the six volumes of “Scripture Studies” are practically the Bible, topically arranged with Bible proof texts given, we might not improperly name the volumes “the Bible in an arranged form,” that is to say, they are not mere comments on the Bible, but they are practically the Bible itself. Furthermore, not only do we find that people cannot see the divine plan in studying the Bible by itself, but we see, also, that if anyone lays the Scripture Studies aside, even after he has read them for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he had merely read the Scripture Studies with their references and had not read a page of the Bible as such, he would be in the light at the end of two years, because he would have the light of the Scriptures.
- Watchtower studies on the Bible are equal to reading the Bible
- If you read the Bible without these studies you will be lost in two years
- If you just read the studies alone without reading the Bible you will be enlightened
- You don’t need the Bible, just the Watchtowers interpretation and studies on the Bible
- November 1981 Watchtower says that people must “come to Jehovah’s organization for salvation”
- New World Translation
- Made their own Bible interpretation in 1961
- Highly biased attempt to justify some of their non-biblical doctrines
- Very poor Greek and Hebrew translations that no other scholar has agreed with.
Here are some of the main areas of difference:
- They don’t view Jesus as God.
- They take passages that are referring to Jesus as Lord and replace it with Jehovah. They place the name Jehovah in any place that it is referring to the Almighty God.
- They change the word in for in union with to remove the concept of Jesus dwelling in us.
- Add the word exercise or exercises in 24 places to connect works with salvation.
- Deuteronomy 18 20-22 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the names of other gods, must be put to death. You may say to yourselves, how can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord? If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken.
The Watchtower and Russell predicted Jesus’ return for 1874, 1878, 1881, 1914, 1915, 1918, 1925, 1940’s, and finally 1975.