I can do ALL things through CHRIST who strengthens me!
Steps to build a tree house
- Find a location
- Build a deck
- Frame the walls
- Build the roof
This morning I want to do a step by step guideline for leading us to the place where we can confidently say “I can do all things through Christ.”
First step – God is who He says He is.
Who does God say He is?
- All Powerful
The Bible tells us that God is good and that He is powerful.
Psalms 108:4 “For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.”
Psalms 49:15 “But God will redeem my life from the grave; He will surely take me to himself.”
Psalms 36:5 “Your love, O lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.”
Step Two – God can do what He says He can do.
We struggle with fully believing this.
- Why pray if God can do what He says?
- Why do bad things happen to good people?
- Why wouldn’t God stop all of the injustice?
Understanding of God
- God has full access to all information
- God has power over all of creation
I think the hardest thing for God to do is…
- To change people
- If God knows all things
- If God has the power to do all things
- It is safe to say that God is not frustrated with where things are at in the world
Matthew 19: 26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Jeremiah 32:17 “Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.”
Psalms 115:3 “Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him.”
Step Three – I am who God says I am.
Who does God say I am?
- Righteous – Not based on my actions
- His son/ daughter
- Full of His presence in the Holy Spirit
- I am forgiven
- I am a new creation
Step Four – I can do what God says I can do.
What are some of the things God tells us that we can do?
- Provides a way out from our temptation
- BE filled with power
- Free from the bondage to sin
Matthew 13:53-58 “When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him.”
But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.” 58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
There were two things that the people lacked and one thing they had:
- Faith (Lacked)
- Honor (lacked)
- They took offense at what Jesus was saying
This is where the devil wants to start for us:
- He wants us to doubt God’s Character
- He wants us to doubt God’s ability
- He wants us to doubt who God has made us to be
He wants us to doubt what we can do through Jesus!