What was the most profound question the disciples asked Jesus?
A: Teach us how to pray.
Matthew 6: 5-8 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them
What does a wrong prayer look like?
- An act done in front of others to impress
Look at the context of what Jesus is communicating in this section of Scripture
- Give in secret (6:1-4) Don’t let your right hand know what your left hand is doing
- Pray in secret (6:5-15)
- Fast in Secret (6:16-18)
- Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth
- Don’t worry what you will eat or drink or wear.
- Seek God and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you by God
(Matthew 6:8) Your Father in heaven knows what you need before you ask
GOD WANTS TO PARTNER WITH US.
2 three part sections
- Hallowed be your name
Hallowed means holy
b. Your Kingdom Come
- In Greek this word kingdom means “rule” or “reign”
Martin Luther Quote – If Christians really understood what they are saying when they prayed for God’s Kingdom to come, they would shudder in fear.
c. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Bill Hybels writes about prayer and has four questions to ask before you even pray
- Will it bring glory to Him?
- Will it advance His Kingdom?
- Will it help people?
- Will it help me grow spiritually?
- This is talking about our physical needs not our greed’s.
- Give us today our daily bread
This prayer is focused on the present
b. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
This prayer deals with the past and present.
Matthew 6:14-15 “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.”
c. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one
This has to deal with the future.
Ephesians 6:12 “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the rulers of the darkness of this world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
Genesis 4:7 “If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.”
James 1:14-15 “but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.”
- There is an external spiritual battle raging over your life
- There is an internal desire battle raging within you
- Everywhere you turn sin is ready to pop up in your life
Keep your servant also from willful sins;
may they not rule over me.
Then will I be blameless,
innocent of great transgression.