Go & Make Disciples
1 Thessalonians 5:11
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing
My view of church
PEOPLE BUILDING UP PEOPLE
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
First it tells us to go
Greek Word – matheuo “make disciples”
- Make a learning believer
- Make someone who is growing in their faith
What discipleship is not
- Not a program
- Not just a Bible Study
- Not a 10 week activity
What discipleship is
- Time consuming
Second was to baptize
Jesus invited his disciples.
- Were they already believers?
- Were they ready for ministry?
- Were they educated and gifted?
Paul and his disciples
- Were his disciples believers before him?
- Were they the lesser and he the greater?
- Timothy was clearly younger and maybe a convert
- The rest of his disciples were more friends and co-workers
The goal is to find people that you can invest in and build them up
Third part – Teach them to obey God
and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
- We think discipleship is transferring information
- One leader instructing everyone else
Discipleship is about relationship
We get to learn that discipleship is a relationship that is intentionally trying to encourage and build one another up in Christ.
Reasons why we don’t make disciples
- Too busy
- Don’t know enough
- I have my own issues
- I don’t feel called to minister
- Not spiritually mature enough
- I am afraid
- Too much work
- Not capable