Giving God what belongs to Him
What happened to Achan?
- Israel was told not to take any plunder from the city of Jericho.
- God told him that Israel has sinned when someone took something when they were told not to.
- Joshua and elders cast lots and it ultimately fell on Achan.
- His whole family got stoned, then burned, then heaped a pile of rocks over them.
Here is the saddest point in all of this.
- 36 husbands /fathers/ sons were taken from their families
- Achan missed out on a lifetime of memories
- Achan missed out on plundering the next town
Stealing things that are not yours affects others.
How many of us have stolen from God this year?
8 “Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me.
“But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’
“In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe,” says the LORD Almighty. 12 “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the LORD Almighty.
- You are under a curse for taking what belongs to God!
- Your entire nation may be under a curse for robbing God!
- Not giving all your tithes to Him is considered stealing from God!
When we steal from God
- He can’t bless our home the way he wants to.
- He can’t bless others the way he wants to.
WE CAN DO MORE WITH THE 90% THAT IS OURS THAN WITH KEEPING IT ALL!!
Many people would rather hold on to ten percent of their income instead of trust God and enjoy the vast wealth of heaven that has been promised.
Tithe is a trust fund. It says GOD I TRUST YOU WITH MY FINANCES.
- He wants our heart more than our money.
If God has our heart he has our money. If God does not have our money, then does he truly have our heart?
The end result is that the church will have more resources to reach the community
- Missionary organizations will be able to reach the world better.
- Bible translators will be able to send God’s Word into new places.
- God’s Kingdom will work the way He intended for it to work.
- He may even remove a curse from our land.