If I ask you to think of a friend a person’s face generally comes to mind.
I was blessed to have fantastic friendships that encouraged me to pursue a relationship with Jesus and to respond to his calling for my life.
– I don’t know if I would have ever become a pastor if it wasn’t for my friends!
I can’t imagine what my life would have been like without my friends…
Howard Hughes III
- Made movie about him
- When he died he had a net worth of 2.5 Billion
- He had no family
- A distant cousin came to claim the body and had to say “Is this him?”
- How tragic it is to have wealth and power, but have no one to share it with.
Story of Saul and David
What happened that David lost Saul’s favor?
- Saul was returning home one day with his soldiers
- There were women dancing in the streets in celebration of the military victories.
- The women sang the praises of Saul that he had killed his thousands and David had killed his ten thousands
- Saul realized that there was only one thing left that he had that David didn’t. His kingdom.
Jonathan was a committed friend
- Even when his best interest and future chance to be king was threatened by David
- Even when his dad was trying to kill David
- Even when David betrayed his country by joining forces with the enemies of Israel.
40,000 Americans polled in what they are looking for in a friend
- The ability to keep confidence
- Warmth and affection
Here is what I see in this poll. People are looking for…
- Someone I can trust
Seven kinds of friends
- Work friends
- Parents of your kids friends
- Hobby Buddy
- Church Friend
- Straight talk friend
- Feel good friend
- Sponge friend
Wealth attracts many friends,
but even the closest friend of the poor person deserts them.
6 Many curry favor with a ruler,
and everyone is the friend of one who gives gifts.
7 The poor are shunned by all their relatives—
how much more do their friends avoid them!
Though the poor pursue them with pleading,
they are nowhere to be found –Proverbs 19: 4,5,7
What did Jonathan receive from David?
- Lost his kingly inheritance
- He lost a healthy relationship with his father
- Looked different
- Was valued different
- Not wanted
Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. – Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
- Two can defend themselves
- Three connected are not easily broken
One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. – Proverbs 18:24
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity. –Proverbs 17:17
Do not forsake your friend or a friend of your family, and do not go to your relative’s house when disaster strikes you—better a neighbor nearby than a relative far away. -Proverbs 27:10
Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. –Proverbs 27:6
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. –Proverbs 27:17
Poem on Friends
One day I was looking for a friend,
And there were no friends around
One day I wanted to be a friend,
And there were friends all around