Foundation of Marriage
Here are a few observations about building projects:
- Takes more time than anticipated;
- Cost more than expected;
- Messier than you thought it would be;
- Requires patience as to all the inconvenience.
Psalms 127:1 “Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.”
- Working on marriage doesn’t end when you say I do.
- It is just beginning.
- It is vital for us to build God’s way and have him included in the life long journey.
Corner 1 – Companionship
Genesis 2:18 “The Lord said, “It is not good for a man to be alone. I will make a helpmate suitable for him””
“It is not good for a man to be alone”
“I will make a helpmate suitable for him”
The word helpmate is ezer
- An action verb
- To help/ support
- Used 19 times in the Old testament
- 15 of the 19 times speaks of the type of help God offers
- Not a subordinate helper
Corner 2 – Priority of relationship
Genesis 2:24 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother”
The truth is that marriage between couples is more important than any other relationship.
MANKIND WAS CREATED TO BE IN RELATIONSHIP WITH THEIR SPOUSE AND JESUS
Corner 3 – Unity
Genesis 2:24 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.”
The word united in Hebrew means stuck together
The longer you are united together the harder it is to pull apart.
Corner 4 – Trust
Genesis 2:25 “The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.“
How do we make someone feel shame?
- Criticize them;
- Remind them of all their short comings;
- Make them feel like it is their fault;
- Have to win and be the one to “look good”.
1 Corinthians 6:7-8 “The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers.”
So ask yourself:
“Is it more important to be right? Or is it more important to be in right relationship?”(Note: Haveing some audio issues… this Audio Message courtesy Leigh Sanders private copy…) FFC11252012