Forgiveness From The Cross
What are some of the things we become slave to/ things that control us?
From 970 to 931 BC Solomon was the King of Israel:
- Israel was the world power;
- Solomon brought in ridiculous amounts of gold and silver each year;
- THESE WERE THE GLORY DAYS OF ISRAEL.
- The next thousand years prove to be a little different for them;
- Assyria rises to world power and Israel must pay homage to them (Conquers Northern Kingdom);
- Babylon rises to world power (Destroys Jerusalem and takes away captives);
- Greeks rise to power (Alexander the Great);
- Romans rise to Power (Pay taxes to Caesar. Leadership have to ask permission to put someone to death).
John 8:34-36 “Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
EVERYONE WHO SINS IS A SLAVE TO SIN
Two significant victories that come from the cross for us.
1. Washing Clean
Acts 3:19 “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord”
Hebrews 10:17 “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more”
Isaiah 1:18 “Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the Lord.
“Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.
Psalms 103:12 “As far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.”
The cross is the only thing that can take away the punishment of sin!
Matthew 26:28 “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins!”
2. Breaking free from the slavery
Proverbs 5:22 “The evil deeds of the wicked ensnare them;
the cords of their sins hold them fast.”
Sometimes we are very comfortable living with the slavery to sin!
2 Peter 2:19-22 “for “people are slaves to whatever has mastered them.” 20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21 It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.”
We have the choice to walk away from sins of our past or to keep hold of them:
- For some of us they bring comfort
- For some of us they are what we do to medicate from life’s pain
- For some of us they are familiar to us
Genesis 3:7 “If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”
How do we walk in freedom from sin?
- Choose the life of the Spirit!
Galatians 5:13-18 “You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not able to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law!”