Emotional Health – Loving Others
We have looked at 5 different ways to help us grow on the inside.
- Looked Beneath the Surface
- Breaking the power of the past
- Live in brokenness and vulnerability
- Live within our limitations
- How to deal with loss
- All this aims us in one direction.
Being able to love others well.
Jesus came into our world to where we are at
It is called the incarnation
– He was fully God
– He was fully man
1. A person who enters someone else’s world listens
- This tells them that you care
- This communicates respect
- This demonstrates humility
- Job 21:1-3
- 1 Then Job replied:
- 2 “Listen carefully to my words; let this be the consolation you give me.
- 3 Bear with me while I speak, and after I have spoken, mock on.
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO LOVE PEOPLE WELL
IF WE DON’T LISTEN TO THEM!!
2. Four types of listeners
Parable of the Sower
a. Hard-hearted listener
This person hears without understanding.
- There are two parts to communication.
- The person who is trying to talk
- The person who is listening
- These people (hard-hearted listeners) do not learn well.
- Don’t take advice
- Never learn from their mistakes
- Think they are always right
b. Shallow hearted listener.
This person has limited energy to put into listening.
They understand just pieces of things.
- People are not important enough for you.
- Romans 12:3 Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought.
- We need to learn how to consider others better than ourselves.
c. Cluttered Listener
These people listen, but they are also thinking of other things
- Usually well meaning, but too easily distracted.
- We are too easily distracted and our relationships are the ones suffering
- If we don’t listen well
- Then we can’t love well
- d. Fruitful listener
This person listens and
- *They are not too busy for you.
*They make you feel important.
3. How to be a better listener
- Put your agenda on hold
- Allow the other person to speak until they completely share their thought
- Explore – Tell me more, or help me understand
- Briefly state back what you hear. “I hear you say that you are feeling like…