1. Looking in can be painful
What was the first thing that Adam and Eve did when they chose to eat the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil? They hid themselves from God. Why? They were naked and now they felt shame.
WHAT IS GOING ON INSIDE OF US THAT GOD IS WANTING TO CHANGE?
Need to forgive
Need to love
SOMETIMES GOD USES PAIN TO GET US TO CHANGE. WE DEVELOP A HUNGER TO CHANGE.
Here is what is happening inside of some of us this morning.
We feel worthless
We feel insecure
• Proverbs 18:14 A wounded spirit who can bear?
• Exodus 34:29-30 Moses face was radiant from being in the presence of God.
• 2 Corinthians 3:13 We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away.
2. Why we do what we do
Our external actions are a reflection of what is going on beneath the surface.
What motivates us?
What is it that we need?
Significance – I have purpose and meaning (More Men)
Security – I belong and am loved (More Women)
Problems develop in our life when our significance or security is threatened.
3. True fulfillment can only be found in Christ
• Our significance is that we are a child of God.
• Our security is that He loves us unconditionally.
We Have Two options – Live for God or Live for Self.
Here’s the Challenge :
If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life, for me, will find it!
(Starts a few minutes in…)