“What do you do when you don’t get what you want?”
- It is not God’s heart for us to have everything
- It is God’s heart for us to be content with what we have
- It is God’s heart for us to be thankful for what we have
1 Thessalonians 5:18
Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus
The key phrase in this verse is the word all
Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
2 Corinthians 11:23-28
- Flogged 5x
- Beaten with rods 3x
- Pelted with stones
- Shipwrecked 3x
- Gone without sleep, food, water, clothes
Why should I be thankful?
- You could be thankful things aren’t worse
- You could be thankful for what God is doing in you through hard times
“I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility and Union.”
- Write down something this week that irritated you – how did it make you feel?
- Write down something that you are thankful for – How did it make you feel?
11 Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus travelled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. 12 As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance 13 and called out in a loud voice, ‘Jesus, Master, have pity on us!’
14 When he saw them, he said, ‘Go, show yourselves to the priests.’ And as they went, they were cleansed.
15 One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16 He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him – and he was a Samaritan.
17 Jesus asked, ‘Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? 18 Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?’ 19 Then he said to him, ‘Rise and go; your faith has made you well.’
What was life like for someone with leprosy?
- Couldn’t worship in church
- Couldn’t live with their families
- Couldn’t live in the cities
- Had to tear their clothes so everyone would know they had leprosy
- Had to have their faces covered
- Had to cry out loud unclean when anyone came near
- Jesus told them to go present themselves to the priest
- On their way to the priest they were healed
- The thankful man noticed he was healed and went back to thank Jesus
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE THINGS IN YOUR LIFE THAT YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL FOR, BUT YOU ARE NOT?