Shocking Statements of Jesus
“Whoever Wants To Be Great (In the Kingdom of Heaven) Be A Servant”
WE WANT TO HAVE VALUE, IMORTANCE AND MEANING. WE WANT TO BE SOMEBODY
What does a great leader look like to you?
Mark 10:35-40 “Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask you.” “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked. They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.” “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said.
“Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?” “We can,” they answered. Jesus said to them, “You will drink the cup I drink from and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.”
We want you to do for us whatever we ask
- This sounds like a six year old.
- This sounds like a trap
- Must have felt safe with Jesus
Israel has been under the occupation of numerous other kingdoms for a long time
- Currently under Roman occupation
- Greeks before that
- Persia before that
- Babylon before that
- Assyria before that.
- They have spent several hundred years under the yoke of another countries power.
Mark 10:42 “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them.”
Here is the way our leaders generally operate
- Make a decision in isolation and then ask, How can I get others to own it?
- Create a plan and delegate the responsibility to make it happen
- Reprimand or fire someone for not carrying their load
- Do whatever the boss says to do
Mark 10:43 “Not so with you”
This is not how it works in the Kingdom of God
- Don’t lord it over others
- Don’t place yourself above others
- Treat with respect as equals
- You are all made in God’s image
Mark 10:42 “Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant”
Mark 10:43 “And whoever wants to be first must be slave to all.”
John 13:14-15 “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”
We are to value people.
- We are to treat people with respect
- We are to listen to other people and understand where they are coming from.
- We are to get to know one another as human beings
GOD DOES NOT CARE ABOUT SELF IMAGE, LOOKING GOOD, AND BEING IMPORTANT!
What does God care about?
Here is the heart of Jesus’ message
- Relationship is important
- Making each other look good in relationship is important
- Sacrificing yourself and your needs for others in relationship is important.
Philippians 2:1-4 “If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4 Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.”