( Click Video To Play )
As the World Changes – Some Milestones
Printing Press (1450)
Steam Engine (1781)
Combustion Engine (1823)
Electric Motor (1832)
Ironclad Ship (1859)
First Automobile (1890)
Second Half of 20th Century
The disciples went through one of these world changing times! They had to deal with:
- A New form of righteousness;
- Forgiveness of sins;
- No more separation;
- Being Filled with the Holy Spirit!
In Acts 4:1-4
- Peter just finished preaching to the huge crowds of people, and
- Chapter 2 sees 3000 new converts!
- Chapter 3 Peter heals cripples and speaks to large crowds!
- Chapter 4 Peter is arrested and nearly two thousand more people converted!
- In a few days they went from a few hundred to a five thousand person church!
Acts 4:5-12 “The next day the rulers, the elders and the teachers of the law met in Jerusalem. 6 Annas the high priest was there, and so were Caiaphas, John, Alexander and others of the high priest’s family. 7 They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: “By what power or what name did you do this?”
Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: “Rulers and elders of the people! 9 If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a man who was lame and are being asked how he was healed, 10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 Jesus is
‘the stone you builders rejected, which has become the cornerstone.’
12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
WE CHOOSE CHRIST:
- How did this miracle happen? Jesus
- How can a simple person like me do this? Jesus
- Who did you crucify, but rose from the dead? Jesus
- How do you receive salvation? Jesus
Acts 4:13-20 “When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. 14 But since they could see the man who had been healed standing there with them, there was nothing they could say. 15 So they ordered them to withdraw from the Sanhedrin and then conferred together. 16 “What are we going to do with these men?” they asked. “Everyone living in Jerusalem knows they have performed a notable sign, and we cannot deny it.
17 But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn them to speak no longer to anyone in this name.”
18 Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! 20 As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.”
Who are we living for?
- To impress people?
- To impress God?
How did the Israelites deal with change as they left Egypt?
- Let’s go back to Egypt!
- They grumbled and had a horrible attitude!
- Fearful of going into promised land!
- Not trusting God!
How do we respond to changes?
- Some of us are appalled,
- Some of us are afraid,
- Some of us are thankful,
- People complain about things – But WE CHOOSE CHRIST!
- People are afraid of things going on – But WE CHOOSE CHRIST!
- People are hoping for things to return to “normal” – but WE CHOOSE CHRIST!
God wants to move us to a higher level of:
- Morality, and
- Dependence upon Him.
Please +1, Like and Share – Thanks 🙂